Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday 15th April – arrive 7pm for 7.15pm kickoff. This month’s speaker is Derick Rethans, who is probably best known for authoring the debugging tool Xdebug. Derick is currently at 10gen, the company behind MongoDB, and is responsible for developing and supporting the PHP MongoDB driver through development of the driver itself as well as community support and developer advocacy. He’ll be talking to us about MongoDB – what it is, where best to use it, some examples and some further advanced usage.
10gen have also very kindly offered to sponsor the first round of drinks following the meeting!
Also thanks to those of you that came to Stu Herbert’s talk at the last meeting – it provoked some interesting discussion and Q&A afterwards! Stu spoke about how DataSift use PHP to handle (in various methods) every piece of data that comes into the DataSift application. DataSift are one of only three companies worldwide to have access to the full Twitter firehose, so this is large large amounts of data. It was interesting to see how PHP managed this, and the way in which DataSift employ PHP alongside other technologies to deliver real-time information and statistics.
Update: Stu has published his slides from the presentation – you can find them at http://www.slideshare.net/stuartherbert/php-and-the-firehose-2013.
See you there :-)
- 19th February 2018: Matt Brunt on Behaviour Driven Development & Behat
- 15th January 2018: Dave Liddament brings us The Test Suite Holy Trinity and Andy Collington gives A Gentle Introduction to JWT
- 18th December 2017: The BrightonPHP Christmas Hack Night
- 20th November 2017: Ian Thomas on Code Review; and tell us how you work
- 16th October 2017 – BrightonPHP’s 5th Birthday, with Tibor Besze on Laravel