Ho ho ho and all that! This month, we wanted to do something a bit special for Christmas, so on Monday 18th December, we’ll be meeting up not at our usual venue, but at Holiday Taxis on Black Lion Street (details below) for a night of festive cheer, mince pies, and teaching Alexa Christmas carols … or something like that. Come along any time from 6PM, bring a laptop, and let’s see what we can put together.
Give Alexa a New Skill for Christmas
Rather than a person doing the talk, this month we’re going to let a robot do it, in the form of Amazon’s Alexa personal assistant. We’ll have a couple of Amazon Echo boxes to play with, and our aim for the night is to build a new “skill” – a set of keywords Alexa can respond to. You bring a laptop, some creative ideas, and some programming genius; we’ll provide some festive snacks and drinks.
Our Hosts for the Month – Holiday Taxis
Please note that this month’s event is not at our usual location.
Holiday Taxis are a local business who help millions of people a year get from the airport to their hotel. They have an in-house team of around a dozen PHP developers and related staff, and are on the look out for more, so check their careers site for current positions.
Their office is at 13 Black Lion Street – in between the Lanes and the seafront, and more specifically in between the Black Lion pub and the Pho Vietnamese restaurant. Here’s a Google Maps link if you need to get your bearings.
- 19th March 2018: Michael Heap on Prometheus and Simon Downes on Data Processing
- 19th February 2018: Matt Brunt on Behaviour Driven Development & Behat
- 15th January 2018: Dave Liddament brings us The Test Suite Holy Trinity and Andy Collington gives A Gentle Introduction to JWT
- 18th December 2017: The BrightonPHP Christmas Hack Night
- 20th November 2017: Ian Thomas on Code Review; and tell us how you work